The Smales Farm story starts in 1879, when Henry Smale emigrated from Cornwall and settled on Auckland’s North Shore.
In 1928, James’s son, William Henry (Bill) Smale, took over a quarry on the corner of Northcote and Taharoto Roads from his father-in-law Henry Hopper Adams. Later, in 1944, Bill bought the nearby land that became known as Smales Farm.
Jim and Geoff Smale ran the site as stock and dairy farm as well as the quarry until their retirement at the ages of 90 and 80. In the 1990’s a new generation of Smales, Greg, Chris and Bill took over the running of two sites. Together they helped form the first Board of Directors which shaped the original vision for the transformation of Smales Farm as it’s known today.